Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Cata Kill Count Climbs

Hows that for alliteration?

  I had previously stated I would like to do a highlights and wrap up of E3 2011, however, I appear to have dropped the ball on that one. Pity, there was a fair bit at E3 that bears mentioning. Like the fact that I may actually buy a Nintendo console. YEAH, I know! The Wii U. No more kiddie games for nintendo! How about that shit? Killer piece of hardware they displayed there, kudos to you, Nintendo, you have become...relevant once again. I look forward to this unit. Also, Sony, and the PSVita, their new handheld, with...get this, a reasonable launch price. Wi-Fi unit...$249.99 (I think) and 3G and Wi-Fi....$299.99. Looks like I am spending some money in the coming year or so. Giggity!

 Now, onto my oh so clever titular material. Most of you know, that up until Feb 2011, I was an avid WoW fan and player. However, since December 7, 2010, my...favourite(?) past time was becoming....lets just say....no longer a fun place or fun thing to do. To me, there just seemed to be a lack of....new. Shiny. Something that would make me want to keep going in the game. Enough of me complaining about a game and company that no longer cares about content, and cares only about cash, and how to pad their already fat wallets and bank accounts. This is after they pay their bills. The situation hit home to me over the last couple of days, as it appears that the guild I was in, has pretty much ceased to be, in game for the most part. The guild tag is still there, and so is the website. But the people are not logging in. From what I am gathering, the new content to come, The Firelands, in patch 4.2, Blizzards "yay more raids" patch, is geared and focused pretty much at the high-end, top-tier raiding guilds. So, a full content patch, aimed solely at the top 1% - 2% of the WoW gaming community. Hardly seems worth it for a casual raiding guild to hang around.
 To top that off, there was a report that Blizzard is working on End Game Content aimed at the solo players and low end raiding guilds.When this content is due out is not known at this point, but I think it is too late for that. This is only one thing in a long list of things that Blizzard has done to anger or alienate players and fans.Being there for the solo and low end raiders is something that they should have considered a long time ago, even after acknowledging the disparity in end game activities a looong time ago. I would not be surprised to see them losing more active accounts in this last quarter as well, perhaps the same number, or more than the reported 600,000 in the last quarter.
  With games like Rift out, with more going for it right now than WoW has to offer, I would not be shocked to see their subs rise. Also with games like Star Wars: The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 on the horizon, I think Blizzard and their aging World of WarCraft are in for a rough ride. Perhaps this is just a sign, a harbinger if you will, that points to a reveal of Blizzards next game, "Project Titan" more than likely will be....shown in some form at Blizz-fan-faire-con-thingy.

 Time will only tell in this matter. Do I want to see Blizz fail, and fall flat on their asses for not dealing with the player base as a whole, and for treating them as self-entitled whining snot-nosed brats. Do I think that they should be working on real content instead of "OOh...shiny new mount" in the pet store? At some point, they will have to start treating the players as paying customers, and not idiots. On the flip side, players will have to stop acting like idiots, and...and.....nope, just stop acting like idiots. I could say the players need to take a look at what they are doing, how much money is going into BLizzard for these pets, AND their monthly subs as well. Start demanding better content from Blizzard, stop buying into their stupid pets (unless its a charity thing, in which case, I support it), and in the end, cancel your sub if you feel strongly about it.

 I did!


 Anyways, to the folks of the guild Reverence, of the Greymane Server,  /salute. You were a fun group to run with, and I wish you all find happiness and enjoyment in what ever game, hobby or pastime you find next. God Bless!
(if for some reason you wind up in SWTOR, look us up at the Ebonchain) Shameless plug, get over it

 As always, happy gaming!!

No comments:

Post a Comment